Sunday 23 March 2014

MEST2: Evaluation darft

AQA AS Media Studies
MEST2: Evaluation

In MEST2 I worked by myself, so I had to do a lot on my own but I brought it on myself but I think I handled it well. My brief is about a Teen Drama that I had to create for a pre-watershed audience and timing and I had the option to broadcast it on two channels and choice BBC Three.
My Research contribute a lot to my planning and final product in many ways. One of the main things that my research helped me was the type of filming and camera work I would do use for my TV opening. Also my research helped me on what types of photo I would use for my magazine front cover and double page speared. With my institutional research I did looked at BBC Three and E4 because I had to choose one of them.  BBC3 is a TV channel that is presented by the BBC3 broadcasting. Their target audience are those in the 16-34 year old age group. In 2001 the bbc chose to rebrand their two digital channels, so that could link more into BBC One and BBC Two. They finally in 2002 BBC Choice was renamed and rebranded to BBC Three. Some people disagreed about the changed and said that the channel would become rivals between ITV2 and E4. BBC3 focus on drama, entertainment, comedy, music, learning and news. The some of the most popular programs are, Sherlock, Russel Howards's good news and Bad Education. BBC3 is a channel that  have a audience that don't like to watch the news for too long, that’s why BBC3 have 60 seconds news every hour between programs which tells the news in 60 seconds. E4 is a british channel which was launched s a pay-TV companion to channel 4 in 2001. The "E" stands for entertainment. The channel has a very similar target audience. The channel is mainly aimed at 15-35 age group. On the channel they show a lot of american programs, they also have a lot of british shows. Its most successful broadcast to date was on 11 October 2010 when an episode of The Inbetweeners pulled in over 3.7 million viewers.E4 is watched by 9.6 million people a month and its audience share of 1.8% places it well ahead of Sky1 and the better-funded BBC3 – although the BSkyB general entertainment channel is available in fewer homes, and the corporation's service only broadcasts 12 hours a day – and has grown every year without fail. At the end this really helped me make my choice of where I was going to broadcast the teen drama. I chose BBC Three because my narrative and narrative concepts linked to the BBC Institution and what their motto is and also what can of broadcaster they are. The narrative concepts is police, crime, teen issues etc. The BBC’s motto is to inform, educate and entertain and I will doing those things across my work. ANother reason i chose BBC Three was because the BBC institution is a Public Service Broadcaster which is funded by the government, which comes through our TV licence. My narrative shows the good side of police service because in recent years the nation has question about the police and it would seem right if this program is on BBC Three. The government are saying that the police are one of the best unit in the world and it be right if the BBC shows that through my program. I did carry out an audience research which was a Focus group. I talk about my A clear explanation of my idea, referencing other programmes/films, details about my characters, narrative themes and location, Why my idea would appeal to the key 15-35 audience demographic and Scheduling details - when it might be broadcast and on which channel.

My target audience for my TV show are 15-30 year olds. To be honest my target audience doesn’t really have a target gender. I think it’s a program which connects 2 both males and females. I think my shows target audience is people who on BBC3 and my main protagonist turns into an undercover police. So then the overall the message the show is trying to send is that the police try their best then again the BBC’s have 3 things they want to achieve is to inform-educate-entertain, and that’s why the show is trying inform the audience that the police force is a strong force and that the audience should believe in the police force. I think when it comes to demographics my program appeals to all the groups but i think it mostly appeals to E, D, C1 and C2 but i think the program appeals to the E group more because its about gangs a d police and the main protagonist a d the E group it appeals to students and persinors because persinors well see themselves as one of the characters in the program and students can relate to the main protagonist because of their age and because that at 15-17 age young people tend to have some problems with families. Using Youngs and Rubicam's Psychographics, my concept will target the groups Strugglers, The Mainstreams, The Aspirers and the Explorer, because my program is about someone trying to escape from his life and wants to do something rather than paying of debts which will connect the strugglers. Also the narrative is something new which i haven't seen on tv which would go into The Explores. Furthermore I think the concept is unique in a way that the program is presented as a mainstream program and that would fit in with the Mainstream. My main protagonist fits as a aspirer because he is pushed by other perceptions and i think that would connect to the audience that fit into the Aspirer group.

I think my print work match the key conventions of magazine publishing. Example - one of key conventions of magazine publishing is a title of publication which I do have at the top third of my magazine.  I also have a central image (which is another key convention) which employs single, strong central image which serves to anchor the cover. I think overall my print work was my weak point in this. I did have some strengths but I had a lot of weaknesses. I think one of my strengths and weaknesses was that I had some experience with Adobe Photoshop CS6 but I wasn't great at it and I should have improved my skills on it knowing that I was going to use it for the print work - due to the fact that I have Adobe Photoshop CS6 at home. My other strength was that I knew how I wanted my front cover and double page spread to look like. I had an idea, also I had an example which I saw from a rage of front covers I saw and research a lot an empire magazines. On to my weaknesses – I have a lot. Example I did not expand my skills when I had the program at home knowing that I would have it at home. Like, I should have at least have expanded my skills on Adobe Photoshop CS6. I could have gone crazy and magical editing on them but I just did not expand my skills – which I should have.  Another weakness was that I didn’t really research a lot of souvenir magazines. I should have look into souvenir magazines a lot more deep. I should have look into the key conventions of souvenir magazines.  Another weakness I had was that I couldn’t control the lighting from the outside photoshoot, which was a limitations because I did not have the rights to take lighting equipment outside school grounds. But – saying that, I did have an indoor photoshoot (a strength) which I had lighting equipment. Overall I used that outdoor photos. I also learnt something from the second photoshoot which was, facial expression and scenery are something I had to think before that photoshoot happens so I know what to expect.


The representation created around the persona of young people is that of rebellion and more crucially unadulterated/ uncompromised violence. I tried to make my main protagonist as similar as most teens in terms to personality and problems. When it comes to young people, they have a lot of problems. Especially young people come a lot of crossroads in their young lives. I don’t think that this is a stereotype but I could have made a new one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment